Ginger Apple Cake (serves 12-16)
By Micki Sannar
This is a favorite of mine to make in the fall, when the apples are at their best. The only way to improve upon this cake is to share it with a dear friend.
1 large apple, peeled and chopped (Fujis are best)
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup pure olive oil
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, beaten
2 large egg whites, beaten
½ cup molasses
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon ginger
2½ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup boiling water
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cups milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 pinch salt
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat one 9x13-inch pan with olive oil cooking spray.
2. In a small mixing bowl, blend chopped apples with brown sugar and lemon juice. Set aside.
3. In mixer bowl add olive oil, sugar, egg, and egg whites. Blend until smooth.
4. Add molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Mix until well blended.
5. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend again.
6. On low speed, slowly add boiling water and mix until smooth and creamy (scraping sides if necessary).
7. Gently fold in apple/sugar mixture.
8. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 35~40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove and glaze immediately.
In small mixing bowl, add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt. Mix until well blended. Spread evenly over cake while hot.