A perfect Fall salad for those chilly autumn days.
1 ea small butternut squash, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
4 ea bacon pieces, diced
2 tbsp yellow onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 oz real maple syrup
3 oz Fig Balsamic Vinegar
1 oz apple cider vinegar
1 tsp whole grain mustard
6 oz Terra Verde Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea large head of kale, washed and trimmed with ribs removed
1 ea large apple, diced (I prefer Honey Crisp or Granny Smith)
1 c toasted walnuts
1 c dried cranberries
3 oz crumbled dry goat cheese
to taste salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Toss butternut squash with 2 oz Terra Verde Extra Virgin Olive Oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast butternut squash for approximately 20 minutes or until tender and browned. Remove from the oven and cool.
4. Place the diced bacon in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Cook until the bacon has turned golden brown and rendered out the fat.
5. Remove bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
6. Leave one tablespoon of the bacon fat in the pan and discard the rest.
7. Over medium heat add the chopped onion and fresh thyme and cook until soft.
8. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the maple syrup, Fig Balsamic Vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and whole grain mustard until well combined. Season to taste.
9. Slow drizzle in the remaining Terra Verde Extra Virgin Olive Oil while whisking to combine.
10. Once all of the vinaigrette ingredients are in the pan add the trimmed kale and toss until well combined, and all of the leaves are slightly wilted and coated with the warm vinaigrette.
11. Place dressed kale in a large bowl and top with roasted butternut squash, diced apple, walnuts, cranberries, and crumbled goat cheese.
12. Serve with crusty bread while still warm.